Search for pixie portals while discovering downtown Dublin’s quaint shops
Be it beer, wine, doughnuts or chocolate, we’re suckers for organized trails. So when I recently learned of a fairy trail in downtown Dublin, my daughter, Rosie, and I made plans to check it out.
The Irish Fairy Door Trail was created in 2016 by the Dublin Convention & Visitors Bureau as a fun way to highlight the independent businesses in downtown Dublin. Trail guides are available online or can be picked up in person at the Dublin Visitor & Information Center at 9 S. High St. The center is open daily from 8 a.m.-9 p.m.
A dozen small, glitter-encrusted doors have been hidden inside businesses in the historic downtown area. It’s up to participants to find them and take note of the fairy’s name that’s been attached to each. Jot down the names of the fairies found at six of the 12 participating stores on your passport to earn an Irish Fairy Door Trail T-shirt. Completed passports can be slipped into a box inside the visitor’s center.
The real prize, Rosie and I discovered, was spending time together exploring the unique stores. I drank coconut-flavored coffee and devoured sea-salt caramels at Winans of Dublin. Rosie found a shamrock-spotted rubber duck at Ha’Penny Bridge Imports of Ireland and a comfortable seat in a giant Teddy bear at the Dublin Toy Emporium.
Here is the full list of participating stores at the time of our adventure:
- Boho 72 Boutique, 72 N. High St., Dublin
- Dublin Convention & Visitors Bureau, 9 S. High St., Dublin
- Bend Active, 4544 Bridge Park Ave., Dublin
- Kilwins Dublin, 4549 Bridge Park Ave., Dublin
- Johnson’s Real Ice Cream, 55 W. Broad St., Dublin
- Our CupCakery, 16 N. High St., Dublin
- Winans Chocolates & Coffee, 52 S. High St., Dublin
- Dublin Toy Emporium, 28 N. High St., Dublin
- North Market Bridge Park, 6750 Longshore St., Dublin
- Sweetwaters Coffee & Tea, 4587 Bridge Park Ave., Dublin
- Extravagifts, 24 N. High St., Dublin
- Apricot Lane Boutique, 4541 Bridge Park Ave.
Learn more about Dublin’s Irish Fairy Door Trail.